Monday, March 03, 2008

I Was There...Concert History

Well, another concert is in the bank and on the way down to Springfield, MO, my concert experiences kept rolling through my mind. Sit back, relax, and scroll through Brad's concert memory lane...

My first concert was an MC Hammer show in Columbia when I was no more than 10 or 11. I gotta say...it...was...AWESOME!!! 50 dancers, tons of lights, tight band. He sang "You've Got to Pray Just to Make it Today" right after "Soft and Wet."

Next, my parents drove me and Tom Gibson to see Dave Matthews in '96 or '97. Unbelievable show! Funny story: somehow we're found in the expanse of the lawn by our friend Scott and two older girls from our high school, both of whom I loved with the heat of a million suns: Jaclyn Whitaker and Kristin Johnson. So, two 14 year old, big-headed, awkward kids share a blanket on the lawn with two beautiful older girls...AND THEIR PARENTS...Awesome.

The next show of any note was Ozzfest with Tyler O'Banion and Mike Elsberry. Saw some bands by the name of Taproot, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Marylin Manson and, oh yeah, the ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF BLACK SABBATH!!! That's right, Geezer, Tony, Bill and Ozzy together again. I saw Black Sabbath play Iron Man. Great day, drove the wrong way down an exit ramp, saw a crazy drunk guy dancing by himself to Disturbed and got to see my friend Larynn from CMC.

Some time in here my brother and I saw Chuck Berry at the Blue Note in Columbia. The godfather of rock 'n roll and public restroom voyuerism can still duckwalk and solo like a pro.

Next up is DMB again in St. Louis this time. Every time I've seen Dave has been better than the last.

In college, Wayne Kerr came and played a show in our church on campus. Wayne Kerr isn't a star, I don't even like him that much, but that show was awesome. It was intimate and personal. Good stuff.

Also during college, I saw Pearl Jam for 20 minutes. If you really want to see me get mad, ask me why sometime.

Toward the end of college, Mustoe, Diffie and I drove the windy road to Columbia to see Robert Randolph and the Family Band. I had been looking forward to this having heard RRFB's live album and they did not disappoint. We got there early like I like to do and got a place up front. This band really is unbelievable and everyone who reads this should see them if you ever get the chance. BUT THEN, they ask if anyone knows how to play guitar and Mustoe raises his hand and they call him up on stage. I got down on all fours to get Mustoe big behind up there. Adam Mustoe played a solo with Robert Randolph and the Family Band!!! Awesome, great show.

In 2003, Tyler calls me and says that the Summer Sanitarium Tour, Metallica's then annual trip around the country, was coming to St. Louis and that we WOULD be going. The show, featuring Mudvayne, Deftones, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Metallica, started at 4pm. We got there at 1, went straight to the front and took our place against the railing five feet from the huge stage. And for 12 hours, we didn't move more than 10 feet, no food, water or bathrooms. Mudvayne, makeupless for the first time and unbelievably musically talented as usual. Deftones, the only band in the world that has ever made heavy metal music sound beautitful. Now, through Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, Tyler and I and about 50 others toward the front, turned our backs to the stage and raised our middle fingers for the duration of each of their sets for what they have done to metal music. (which is ruin it, by the way) And then Metallica takes the stage. There are no words to describe seeing the most powerful live band ever from no more than 15 feet away.

In the summer of 2005, I met a girl named Lindsey. Since then we have seen Jack Johnson, a show at which I fell in love with that girl named Lindsey, Dave Matthews again, a young guitar player named John Mayer, a older guitar player by the name of FREAKIN' ERIC CLAPTON, discovered our love for Trevor Hall and Martin Sexton, saw RRFB again, and Martin Sexton again, Modest Mouse with Band of Horses. Many, many times we've seen an Irish singer named Bob Reeder both at Weston Irish Festival and at his weekly gig at Kyle's Taproom in N. Kansas City. We love him. Great memories with my girl and many more to come.

Went to Tool in 2007 with friends Tom and Jeff. Laughed through most of the show out of sheer awe of the power and skill of the best drummer in metal Danny Carey.

And Friday night, I drove to Spfd, MO, met with Tom and Tyler and went to Clutch, a band I've loved for more than a decade with my two oldest friends. This was a true blue, down and dirty, sticky floor rock show. Broke up three fights, couldn't talk or hear the day after. Clutch is a balls to the wall rock band but their talent amazed me. Great show, rock 'n roll memories.

Coming up, The Police with Elvis Costello in May and Rush is coming to Starlight Theater this summer. Two of the best drummers in music history, Stewart Copeland and Neil Peart, and I will see them this year. Legendary.

Support Local Music, BB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't forget matt costa and ben folds. great openers for great shows.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You realize, of course, how extremely lucky you are to have had all these experiences and I am delighted that you have been able to do so. Being much too practical for my own good, I have to ask one question - aren't these concerts very expensive? cb