Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Got It Right!!

Well, another year of Hollywood's biggest night has past and I have to say, Oscar got almost everything right this year!! Here's some things I'm most excited about.

Falling Slowing from the movie Once won best song against three, count 'em, three songs from Enchanted. Once is an unbelievable movie, the Frames are an unbelievable band and Glen Hansard is an unbelievable song writer.

Diablo Cody won best original screenplay for Juno, which did not win best picture. Juno is an awesome movie and clearly the best written of last year. But, just as clearly, can't compete with No Country.

Javier Bardem won best supporting actor for the second creepiest villian in movie history, second only to Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector (which always got an Oscar). If you see this movie and don't see Javier's eyes in your dreams or hear him say "Call it, friendo" in the back of your mind for a week, you've got brass ones my friends. And, surprise, he's actually a handsome fellow. His dedication in Spanish to his mother was an Oscar moment for the ages.

Daniel Day-Lewis is the best actor ever. There's no question in my mind. I've just put all his movies on the queue from Blockbuster. His indifference for the structure and politics of Hollywood is refreshing as well. Seriously, is there anyone better. Listen to him actually speak, either from last night or on Oprah or something, and then go watch There Will Be Blood or rent Gangs of New York. He is leagues above anyone else who has ever acted or ever will. The Tiger Woods of acting.

No Country for Old Men should have won best picture and I'm happy to see that it did. It's not just a great movie, it's an important movie. It's commentary on our modern world and resignation of the sheriff to that world at the end (if you still don't get the end, that's what it was about, he was giving up) are important for our world to hear right now. The whole package, directing, acting, writing, shooting, editing, all of it were better than anything else last year. Good show Coens!

Jon Stewart was a great host. He was sincere, funny and kept the show moving along. He proved to me that he truly is a great man when he called Glen Hansard's co-writer of Falling Slowly back on stage after commercial break to give her acceptance speech.

It was a great show. I actually wanted to and did sit through the whole thing and was entertained and inspired by the whole thing. Good job Oscars. I love movies.

While I'm on a movie kick, here's one more thing I thought of last night. Think about Harrison Ford for a second. Probably never win an Oscar, he's not known for his depth or range. But think about it: Han Solo AND Indiana Jones. Are you KIDDING ME? That's rediculous. Daniel Day-Lewis might be the best actor of all time, but Harrison Ford IS two of the most memorable and loved and kickass characters of all time. Can't wait for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!! Keep it up, Mr. Ford.

Watch movies, make art.
BB

5 comments:

Adam said...

Four words my friend:

"GET OFF MY PLANE!"

Zach said...

I'm glad that someone else enjoyed the Oscars last night. I found the Academy to have done a pretty good job this year. I also found delight in Enchanted having 3 songs nominated and still lost.

Unknown said...

I didn't get to watch the Oscars this year...:( My husband's not a fan. So thanks for catching me up!

CARYL said...

I agree. I loved the Oscar's this year and really like that John called that girl back so she could give her acceptance. And what she said was worth getting called back. Somebody tell me what "Get off my plane" is from. cb

Adam said...

get off my plane is from "Air Force One" which Mr. Ford famously uttered, admittedly, a little obscure.