Thursday, February 14, 2008

Goosebumps: More Rock n Roll Church Stuff

When was the last time you got goosebumps in worship?

Mine is Christmas Eve this year. It had much more to do with the woman and 1-year-old sitting next to me and the memories of Christmas Eve a year before than the service. (sorry, dad)

So another question: When was the last time you got goosebumps in worship that were caused solely by the worship experience itself?

I just listened to Live On Two Legs, a live album by the best band of the past 25 years, Pearl Jam. I was reminded as I listened that my lifetime goosebumps moments were all at rock concerts and very rarely at a worship service.

Pearl Jam opens with Release, my favorite song, as the rain starts coming down.
Metallica bursts into the opening of Fuel as 8, 10-feet-high flames shoot out from the front of the stage five feet from my face.
Eric Clapton starts the encore with the greatest lick ever written, the opening of Layla.
Dave Matthews hits notes so high, MY throat starts to bleed.
Martin Sexton sings of reuniting with his long lost son.
Robert Randolph plays notes on his lapsteel guitar that send shockwaves down my spine.

I have never felt closer to God than in those moments. I mean it, even the Metallica show. And not just close to God; close enough to reach out and touch God's face, close enough to feel the love of God for all creation radiating like the heat from a bonfire.

I have never felt as close to God in any worship experience I have ever been to.

There's three reasons worship, particularly worship music falls short:
1. The music is lame. Please note: none of the concert experiences above are from the many Christian concerts I've been to. No Audio Adrenaline, no Third Day. None of them compare musically. Giving up secular music in high school is one of the dumbest things I've ever done. Christian music sucks. The songs are awful, the lyrics are meaningless and sentimental. Worship music is emotional. Great music is transcendental. (Brief pause to remember the guru of transcendental meditation, Maharishi Mehesh Yogi, who is personally responsible for giving the Beatles the inspiration for the White Album) It doesn't tug on your heart strings; it takes you to another place, a Hole Nother Level. When I experienced a Tool concert, with the only person I have been directly involved in coming to the blessing of baptism, Jeff Green, I got to a point in the concert when all I could do was laugh. Out of joy, out of sheer hopelessness that I would never be able to play like that, out of the magnitude and power of the songs. All I could do was laugh. Lindsey knows that little laugh well. I desire with all my heart to be brought to a place of such perfect bliss that laughter is my only response in worship. But, the music doesn't compare, it can't compete. There is no candle big enough, no fuel powerful enough, for Christian music to EVER hold a flame to great rock music.

2. The musicians aren't ready, aren't good enough. I know that in praise bands there is a feeling that all who come to participate are welcome. But you can't put anybody who has good intentions and wants to be invovled up there in charge of taking a congregation to another place with their music. Rock players are virtuosos; they are the absolute best at what they do. They rehearse relentlessly and devote their entire lives to the perfection of their skill. And when they perform, everything is perfect. Now, compare that with the 15-year-old with the out of tune Fender Squire, the church organist transplanted to the Casio keyboard and the 8 vocalists all trying to outsing each other and only accomplishing to sing LOUDER than each other, which is not the same thing. There is nothing wrong with striving for excellence in our worship musicians. Nothing takes me out of an attitude of worship faster than ONE wrong note, one sloppy beginning or chaotic ending, or-especially for me-a drummer who knows ONE beat and ONE tempo and ONE dynamic. Musicallity. Musicainship. Here come the comments about worship being a welcoming environment and a pastor/worship leader not being able to say no to anyone, not being allowed to say "your playing isn't good enough." It's simply not true. Worship is supposed to be an encounter with God, face to face with the giver of life...and MUSIC. If Jimmy wants to play guitar and just learned a sloppy, halting version of Lord I Lift Your Name On High, DO NOT put Jimmy in your praise band. Repeating, there is nothing wrong with striving for excellence in worship music and worship musicians.

3. The whole service is not designed to work and fit together to provide an atmosphere of transformation, transfiguration, transportation. At a rock show, the lights, the stage, the video behind the artists, every single detail goes hand in hand, and works in absolutely perfect harmony to provide the best performance possible. Yes, I said performance. An argument I can't stand is that worship music can't be performance. It HAS TO BE!! And, every possible aesthetic componant needs to work in sync.

This serves as a wonderful transition paragraph, almost as if the writer designed that way.

I want to start a rock 'n roll church. A church whose worship services cause goosebumps and shivers EVERY week. A church that's just as much rock show as worship service. A church that starts no earlier than 10pm and goes until 2 or 3. A church with a pyrotechnics ministry. A church that looks on the inside more like the Blue Note in Columbia than Missouri UMC down the street. I want a praise band that kicks ass-that's right, I said ass-that plays music that would be played on 96.5 the buzz not the crappy Christian radio station, a band that can jam, a guitar player that can play SRV solos behind his head (big ups to Ryan McClouth), a band of real, true-blue, professional level musicians, a drummer who-like every rock drummer should-is just trying to play somehow near the level of John Bohnam, a drummer who knows who John Bohnam is. I want a congregation with ripped jeans and band t-shirts, with tatoos and metal in their heads. A congregation who knows as much about the White Stripes as they do about Jesus. A congregation who knows who the White Stripes ARE!!!

There is a huge, ultra-dedicated, ultra-forgotten population that is looking for God just like the rest of us: rockfans, punks, metalheads, neo-hippies, goths. Every church has that kid who dresses in black, wears eye make up and listens to My Chemical Romance. These kids are forgotten in the best cases and alienated and scolded in the worst cases. In between those cases, the kids are patronized by people who are genuinely trying to help but write off the situation as a phase. Something that you grow out of. You never grow out of being a metalhead, of loving rock music. That's why, if reached, these people could be the most hardcore, devoted disciples since Peter. (that whole getting crucified upside down thing was pretty hardcore discipleship)

The more I write, the more serious, and seriously possible and seriously needed, this seems to me. So, let's daydream a bit. Rev. Brad Bryan, Minister of Metal. Rev. Adam Mustoe, Minister of Pop/Acoustic/Hip Hop (for one of the white-est crackas I know, he's got a lot of hip hop) Rev. Mark Angleton, Minister of Ska. Rev. Adam Caldwell, Minister of Punk/Emo/Screamo. Rev. Andy Bryan, Minister of 80s/Doodlebops. Rev. Crystal Hughes, Minister of Jazz. Rev. Joel Kidwell, Minister of 90s/Alternative. Rev. Dennis Harper, Minister of Classic Pop/Rock. Rev. Jim Bryan, Minister of Old White Guy Music. Rev. Kevin Shelton, Minister of Music No One Has Ever Heard Of but Him.

Director of Music/Band Leader: Ryan McClouth (the greatest guitar player I have ever known)
Art Director/Stage Design: Ryan Delgado, one artistic Mexican.
Co-Directors of Lighting and Pyrotechnics: Rev. Ron Carlson and Rev. Shane Moore, can you even imagine. Ron in charge of the fire.
Door Managers (bouncers): Adam Leathers, Adam Gordon-Louch.
Ministers of Hospitality (bartenders): Rev. MegAnn Moore. Rev. Katie Trinter. (yeah, that's right Katie, i'm putting the girls in charge of hospitality)

I don't know about any of you, but this church sounds pretty badass.

Rock On People, Rock On.
BB

16 comments:

Mark said...

I have to say that I didn't expect a nod in this one, but yeah this church does sound pretty bad-ass. And it would be a church that I would actually want to attend! Nice Post buddy!

Zach said...

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm always up for a church experience that can be explained as bad-ass. Shouldn't everything we do be a part of personal worship to God? What better way than to bring our meaningful "outside" experiences to the "inside" of the church. (Notice my use of quotations, not my terms, but those of the majority of church leadership.)

p.s. Love the idea of Ron and Shane in charge of things blowing up.

Adam Caldwell said...

Emo? Alright, I guess I expect that...maybe a little bit...I would say that I am moving into more folk nowadays...and bluegrass (can't help it...I'm in the Bluegrass state). Either way...I'd be a part of that.

Andy B. said...

Two things:
1 - What's with all the categorization? For an alleged post-modern person, you sure like your reductionism, bro! There's a category for everything and everything in it's category, huh?

2 - I know next to nothing about 80s music. I was listening to classical mostly during that decade. Sorry.

Brad said...

It's not reductionism, it's contexualization. There is a context, a group, a population, a community, whatever, that the church isn't reaching and isn't even trying to reach.

Everything in its context, and a context for everything.

And, just because I live in the post-modern era, doesn't mean i'm strictly a post-modern person.

Sorry about the 80s thing, just wanted to include you and classical isn't really what this place would be about...

Adam: Guess it has been awhile since we talked music. I'm actually listen to a lot of folk/bluegrass too. I still think of you as the Project 86 guy. Pretty soon, you'll be listening to nothing but Barney anyway.

Peace, B

Adam Caldwell said...

Incidentally...I saw Project this past summer. It was sweet. Also saw the Newsboys and felt like I was in 6th grade again...nostalgia, gotta love it.

Barney...not so much...maybe Handy Manny. I actually have thought about this lately and feel greatly for my soon to be son. Have you seen Saturday morning cartoons lately? They're terrible! Aside from the Turtles still being on (even that is questionable) there really are no good cartoons. I weep for the future of this country.

Adam said...

Barney, LOL

I just feel for that kid, cause you know he's not gonna get a haircut for the first 8 years of his life.

Andy B. said...

I'm not talking about contextualization. I'm talking about saying that one thing is worship and another is not.
Look, why try to bring the rock concert "into" the church? Why not allow the rock concert to "be" church? And how can you say taht your goosebump moments weren't a "worship experience" right after you said how close to God you felt then? Redefine worship, bro. You are still thinking inside the box.

Brad said...

Andy, Ok, I get it. But you knew what I meant all along.

When's the last time you got goosebumps WITHIN A PLANNED SUNDAY/SATURDAY UNITED METHODIST WORSHIP SERVICE IN A CHURCH BUILDING WITH A BULLITEN, LITURGY, SCRIPTURE, SERMON, HYMNS ETC.....

Alright? Not worship in the sense of feeling the presence of God in true and almost tangible ways, but worship like church, dude. Semantics.

B

Anonymous said...

You know, Brad, just because I'm big doesn't mean that the only thing that I can do is move people. I have a soft side, too...why can't I be "Minister of Karaoke Songs That Nobody But Lounge Singers Sing" or "Director of Don't Live Vacariously Through Your Kids" ?

Oh, well. I guess I'll just be blessed to be a part of the crowd. Do I at least get a t-shirt out of the deal?

agl

Anonymous said...

This is obviously your great passion and I do hope and pray that one day, you can have it. cb

Brad said...

Sorry AGL, I was just running out of jobs that I could think of. And, even though I believe your size makes you an excellent candidate for bouncer, you can bring anything you like to the table. I'm open. I like the karaoke ministry idea. Good work..

Anonymous said...

no prob, bb. i'm just glad to be in the loop.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! I am honored to be included in this righteous list of musical ministers. Rock on, lil brother!

Peace and love,
Rev Kev

Unknown said...

Brad, I will try to do a better job keeping up with you...of course mine are never going to be quite as insightful as yours! :) Good to see you this week as brief as it was!

Anonymous said...

1) I loathe liturigical dance. If I have to see one more person in a spandex outfit doing a literal movement interpretation of what is going on in a song I will have to abandon all hope for art in the church. Not all church dance pieces are cheesey, and they don't have to involve large pieces of flowy fabric and people acting like they are praying at the end. It is called artistic integrity!

2) Although I just made that point..what about those who want to participate. Little Jimmy can't play the guitar, but isn't that why we are there. To lead them, help them grow, allow them to lead? How are we going to grow leadership and help others when we refuse to let them because they aren't up to our standards. Yes have artistic integrity...but what about artistic grace? What are you going to do with little Jimmy?

justin z