Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sola Scriptura

There's been a conversation happening in the comment section of my last post between my friend Mustoe (not Adam. Adam is Adam and Mustoe is Mustoe) and myself. Please feel free to read through this conversation. As you do, keep in mind that Mustoe and I are actually best friends and love each dearly, even dream of serving a congregation together sometime in our lives.

My friend brings up a good point concerning my Ten Most Controversial. (I hear the complaints of the fellas who actually have class with me and hear my backhand comments. Some of my viewpoints are simply not blog-worthy nor blog-appropriate)

How do we come to the conclusions we make? I sometimes wish that the "Jump-to-Conclusions mat" from Office Space actually exsisted. Wouldn't it be great if we could just lay out all the possible answers to all the possible questions on some sort of hopscotch board and whichever one we landed on, that's the one we take. No thinking, no debate, no fuss.

Alas, there is no such product. We are called, and really were created, to make up our own minds. At one point in Monty Python's Life of Brian, Brian-who is being confused with the Messiah and blindly followed by hundreds of crazed disciples-finally addresses the crowd with the thesis of the film. "Don't you see, you don't need to follow ANYBODY, think for yourselves."

Sola Scriptura refers to the belief that Scripture alone is sufficient to guide all moral, social and spiritual actions and decisions. Mustoe is very right to point out that I am adamantly against this view, especially as it is used by the "fundys" (Ryan Delgado has a great post on Facebook about the true nature of fundamentalism, btw). Anyone can, and everyone has, use scripture to support every point of view under the sun. The KKK, the extremist Jihadists, slave traders, Fred Phelps and his hate-mongering family. All say that there actions and viewpoints are guided and defined by Scripture.

I did not mean to give the impression that my interpretation of Scripture is the one and only support for my views on homosexuality, violence, luxury, etc. I don't use Scripture that way; as just another article to support my hypothesis like some holy debate team captain. I don't even like sermons that jump from verse to verse in order to prove the point of the message, usually taking all those verses far out of their original context and meaning.

As a Wesleyan, I believe in four things that must always guide our theology, philosophy, missiology and all the rest. Scripture is absolutely one of the four. The others are reason, experience, and tradition. And, I would add a fifth, conscience.

The views expressed in the last post are guided by my interpretation of scripture, my life experience, the tradition out of which I come, my own personal reflection and reasoning, and how each of those views sit on my conscience. In the case of homosexuality (which I MUST point out is not the conversation mustoe and I are having; we are having a discussion of conclusion making, not the specific conclusion) in my interpretation of scripture: 1. the homosexuality to which the Bible speaks is unequivocally wrong and sinful; it is idolitrous pederasty, having sex with young boys who serve in the Greek and Roman temples. 2. the homosexuality we know now, the loving, committed relationship between two people of the same gender, didn't exist or wasn't discussed when the Bible was written. 3. Jesus does quote the OT in the "man leave his home and take a wife" passage, but he does not say this is how marriage is defined in every case and the only way that it isn't sinful. 4. When it comes to Paul, he thinks we're all wrong for being married, gay or straight, so....5. Even if you consider homosexuality a sin, isn't there a strong message of grace and mercy and forgiveness in Scripture. Isn't there a "take the plank from your own eye" passage.

In my experience, homosexual people are no different than the rest of us. It's even hard for me to talk about homosexual people like another race, another subset of people. All of us are broken, wonderful, sinful, grace-filled people just trying to do the best we can in this life.

In my tradition, the UMC states that homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. (the reason i used the same language when referring to a life of luxury). I don't agree, but as a UMC pastor I must uphold this statement in my ministry. I hope to be a part of the church that changes this view in the Book of Discipline. (btw, it says the same thing about violence, war, and gambling) As far as my family tradition, I was raised to uphold, respect, love, serve all people regardless of...well...anything. I was raised to believe that all people should have access to the same rights and priviledges.

In my own reasoning, I think about the arguments against. It is sinful: well, so is smoking and I did that, so is drinking and i do that, so is lusting and I do that...a lot. It is unnatural: while I cannot picture being with another man myself, love and committment and relationship may be the most natural things in this world. It attacks the institution of marriage: marriage isn't doing so great in the hands of the heteros, my friends. I just can't get my mind to a place that thinks, or reasons, that homosexuality is wrong.

And the point I added, conscience: it FEELS wrong to me to say that homosexual people are sinful or wrong or not worthy of marriage or somehow not as worthy as I am to serve God in ministry. It FEELS wrong.

Deep breath.

Well, there you have it. Again, I don't mean to start the be-all-end-all of debates on homosexuality. The point of this post is method: how do we come to the conclusions to which we hold? In order to better understand the views of others, we must understand our own and how we arrive at them. Method is the basis of conversation, or dialogue to use a buzzword. I respect the views of those who have come to their conclusions through a long process of reflection, study, reasoning and discussion. I do not respect the view that this is wrong, that is wrong, I'm for Barack, I'm for Hilary, I'm for McCain, my point is the only acceptable point...but I really don't know why.

Discussion and conversation is the key. Or, we could just stand on either side of the line and scream random Bible verses at each other.

I love you, Mustoe. BB

4 comments:

Andy B. said...

While I agree with where you have ended up, I want to chime in a word of caution when you mention John Wesley. It is pretty clear that Scripture was the primary source for his theological reflection, not just one of four. The metaphor I find most helpful is a jazz combo - scripture is the solo instrument, tradition-experience-reason is the piano-bass-drums rhythm section behind it. There is interplay and back and forth and the other players may get to solo for a few bars, but it is the solo melody that is the star.

Mustoe - Good, faithful Christian people find themselves in all kinds of different places in terms of belief. You quoted a passage that talks about a man and woman being married, which is good. I'm with you on that. But where do you find the next step of logic, though? How do you take it from "man and woman being married is good" to "man and man being married is not good"? And secondly, how do you move this teaching out of the topic of divorce and into the topic of homosexuality? I read it as being about divorce (v. 3), and Jesus' response therefore would be about men and women who decide to get married then staying married.

Andy B. said...

Sidebar: Brad, did you seriously post this at 6:34 A.M.?!?!?!

Brad said...

I did say "As a Wesleyan" not "As John Wesley would say"...that is how I use those five things, not saying he did...

Point taken though..

Adam said...

what uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

BB- Good post. I'm sorry I sounded like a 75 year old man chastising you in the last comment section! I think after I clarified, you responded graciously:

"I did not mean to give the impression that my interpretation of Scripture is the one and only support for my views on homosexuality, violence, luxury, etc"

and

"we are having a discussion of conclusion making, not the specific conclusion"

I just didn't think you're "most controversial" post was very conversational or dialogue inducing, it was more proclaimatic. But hey, I think there's room for that on a blog- it gets the people goin! So, thanks for devoting a whole post to lil' ol' me!

So to Andy I would say, you're first sentance is exactly what I was trying to get across. I know this will be a copout, but I wasnn't ACTUALLY trying to use that citation as a defense of hetero-only marriages, I was only trying to show that for some folks it might. Now, whether I am one of those folks is for another post and comment section altogether!

Back to BB, I throughly enjoyed your use of the "non compatible" language, and I agree with you.

Personally, I agree with the Methodist stance on homosexuality, using all the same criteria that BB does (experience, conscience, etc)and that discussion is probably not blog-appropriate, but you got my number!

What I would add is that Christians can't be vengefully "out to get" the folks who are "in compatible with Christian teaching" because that itself is incompatible. (I realize I'm not saying anything new here) I also think that the...hhhmmm, how should I say...folks who might disagree with the United Methodist stance on Homosexuality have a lot of grounds to cry foul: I am a son of a divorced United Methodist Pastor. Now, the ins and outs of that situation aren't blog appropriate, but suffice it to say that my Dad can be recieved in grace, whereas folks struggling with other things can not. But thats the key, which I will come to later- should being gay be something to struggle with or not? But as the church we are somewhat selective with these issues: Whereas scripture is much more explicit in dealing with divorce (for instance in the passage Andy and I cited) and the consequences of divorce as opposed to not so explicit in terms of what we consider "modern" homsexuality (although I think one could dispute that as well); we as the church have made one sort of acceptable and not the other, and this is a disconnect in our methods of assesing sin through biblical authority, the the church's response to that sin.

So the issue beneath the issue, is really: How do we know what sin is? Then, what criteria are we using to recognize sin as being sinful?

More fuel for the fire baby!

BB, a lovely synopsis of both your stance, and the larger situation we find ourselves in, to sound McLaren-esque.