Monday, March 05, 2007

My Lists

You all are in for a treat this week. We talk a lot about what I don't like on the Bustle, but today I've decided to give you a glimpse into my favorite things. Here's a list of my top five things in my favorite category-Music.
Now, music lists are always hard because of a tricky thing called genre. When comparing musicians its hard to rate them trans-genre. These lists are genre-free. These are the best of the best, in my humble opinion, regardless of what genre they play in.

Top 5 guitarists:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Stevie Ray Vaughen
3. Jimmy Paige-Led Zeppelin
4. Eric Clapton
5. John Petrucci-Dream Theater: an odd choice maybe. Most of you have never heard of this
guy. But, there is no one, NO ONE, faster.

Top 5 drummers:
1. Buddy Rich-leagues above anyone else
2. John Henry Bonham-Led Zeppelin
3. Neil Peart-Rush
4. Virgil Donati-independent: check him out at http://www.virgildonati.com
5. David Garibaldi-Tower of Power: funkiest drummer ever!!

Top 5 frontmen (we can discuss the difference b/t frontmen and singers, if anyone wants)
1. Robert Plant-Led Zeppelin
2. Jim Morrison-The Doors
3. David Lee Roth-Van Halen
4. Bono-U2
5. Freddie Mercury-Queen

Top 5 BEST bands
1. The Beatles
2. Zepp
3. U2
4. The Stones
5. Pink Floyd

Top 5 FAVORITE bands (BB's personal best)
1. Zepp
2. Pantera
3. Pearl Jam
4. Clutch
5.Metallica

Best Guitar Tone
Brian May of Queen and David Gilmore of Pink Floyd

Best Album Ever
Led Zeppelin IV

Best Song Intro's
Since I've Been Loving You-Led Zepp
Dead and Bloated-Stone Temple Pilots
Voodoo Chile-Stevie Ray Vaughen

Best Guitar Solos
Voodoo Chile-Stevie Ray Vaughen
Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd
Paradise City-Guns and Roses(the end of this song is reDUNKulous)

Best Single Note (that's right, the best one notes of rock history)
Voodoo Chile intro-third time through the lick-Stevie Ray Vaughen
I Feel Good-bridge-James Brown sings "When I hold you, in my AAAAAAARMS!"

And finally, Best Drum Grooves
When the Levee Breaks-John Bonham-Led Zepp
Hot for Teacher-Alex Van Halen-Van Halen
Lateralus-Danny Carey-Tool
Knock Yourself Out-David Garibaldi-Tower of Power
Roxanne-Stewart Copeland-The Police


Rolling Stone, eat your heart out!! Feel free to make additions, corrections and other comments. Except, Andy, why I didn't include "Best Keyboardists"!!

Later peeps, B

3 comments:

CARYL said...

I had to read them and weep - since there are only 3 or 4 that I have ever heard of. You really know how to make a person realize that they are OLD! (I didn't really weep. It actually made me laugh.) cb

Adam said...

hey bro. a couple additions here. why is there no mention of Steve Perry or any other journey members? I'd put him at the top of the "best singer" list for sure, and you could argue best frontmen as well. I'd put Axl up there, as you definately associate him with GNR.

I like the disctinction between "best" and "favorite" and I respect your decision to put the Beatles up there, as I know you're not a huuuuge fan of simply listening to them. nice work.

Anonymous said...

Your lists are awesome man! It is good to see some excellent taste!