Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Class pt. 2

Thanks for the answers, Andy and Mark.

Class is a socioeconomic distinction between people. Literally, it's a classification. Now, I always thought that I was middle class and then upper middle class because of how much money my parents made. But, I've recently read something that opened my eyes a little wider. I, and most of my friends, are in the upper class. I am upper class because, first of all, I'm white. I am educated-college degree and graduate school. All these things, not just money, go into my class. The next time you're worrying about your own money troubles, DON'T? You are rich, you are wealthy, you are upper class...You have access to the internet don't you? Well, guess what, your technological awareness and access helps define your class.

In an ideal world, Andy, pastors are in the servant class or classless, somehow exsisting outside of class distinctions. But in the real world, that isn't quite so. Pastors are upper class. We are in positions of power, we are trained to speak well and act appropriately in social situations, we are highly educated compared to most. But, why does it matter that pastors are in the upper class? We have to take this knowledge into every pastoral care situation with which we are faced. We have to know that our position carries with it explicit and implicit power, BILATERAL, one-sided power. One person in the room is a pastor, the other is not. We have to fight against that power and create an atmosphere of mutuality and empowerment. But, recognize and accept our place among the upper class of our world.

Just something that came up in (school) class that actually made me think.

Peace in the Middle East, BB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Socio-economic class has always existed. Yes, we are among the wealthiest people in the world. If our true belief is that of Godly stewardship of resources, then our responsibilty is greater because our resources are greater. It is also crucial that in understanding class we not fall to "Classism" or the stereotyping according to class. Good work. JB

Andy B. said...

Class is also a state of mind. Well-educated, wealthy, etc. people can decide to use their power to associate with a so-called "lower" class.
Another thought that popped into my head - "class" and "classism" are two different things, aren't they? Like what JB said, we can acknowledge class without falling into classism. I think.
Good discussion!