Friday, April 07, 2006

Pride

Early Morning
April Four
Shot rang out in the Memphis sky
Free at last
They took your life
They could not take your PRIDE!

~Thanks, MLK, sorry I'm late.


Well, folks, I'm suffering from some serious spring fever. This weather has been unbelievable. With my girl on my arm and my dog on the leash, I don't think there's anywhere I'd rather be right now than at the park, or the lake.

I told the staff that I was upset that I had to usher, for Sarah and Dennis' wedding, on my birthday, and I got a lot of "welcome to adulthood" type comments. Ya know, I hope I never lose the idea that my birthday is special and I shouldn't be working. Birthdays should be spent with friends and family. And, I hope I never lose spring fever. I hope I never lose senioritis. The idea that when it's "Sunny with a high of 75" (to quote the fellas of Reliant K) one should not be crammed into an office somewhere or running around to meetings. Especially those of us who work in the theological realm. Weather like this is God's gift to us, and any preacher who DOESN'T get outside, write a sermon at the park, take a walk for a meeting instead of staying in the board room, or something is missing the point.

This week, my friends, don't deny spring fever because that's what adults do. Embrace it. Get outside. I'll think you'll find that you are actually happy to be alive.

I hope and pray that becoming an adult doesn't mean denying ourselves of anything fun, as some folks around here seem to think. Gotta go, I think I'll go to the park.

Brad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your willingness to be there, even though it is your birthday. It means a lot to me (and Sarah too). If you get married the day after Christmas, I'm there!

DH

Andy B. said...

If you use your imagination, you could pretend that Dennis's wedding reception is a big party thrown just for you!

Anonymous said...

There was another young preacher, about 30 years ago, who taught his seminaries brothers and sisters what Holy Week is really all about. It is a time to go float the Current River, camp on a sand bar and eat s'mores. He was not serving a church at the time. But since graduating from seminary, he has had to do "adult" things during Holy Week. So sad! cb