Monday, November 21, 2005

That Johnny Cash's full of crap, man!

So, I saw Walk the Line with Lindsey last night. And I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Here's the back story:
When my friends and I all got Ipod's at the same time we started buying music together. With 5,000 songs to come up with up we wanted the best that every genre had to offer. Johnny Cash is the best the old-fashioned rocknroll country has to offer so we bought the Essential J. C. , 40 of his best loved songs. And I have to say that I loved it. Every single song sounds exactly the same (I apologize is you just spit on your computer trying to say that) but it's great. It's the words. He sings about hard times in prisons, bar fights, and boy's with girls names. He sings about floods and hard post-depression country living.

And the movie.....ITS A FREAKIN' LOVE STORY!!!! Come on people. Or should I say, come on Johnny, may you rest in peace. Over the past year, from listening to the music, I had come to think that the Man in Black was the toughest son of a bitch on the planet earth, punching and agougin' in the blood and the mud and the beer. Turns out he was just another strung out rocknroll junkie with a remarkably boring life who cheated on his wife and couldn't really play the guitar all that well.

I've gotta say, the movie had its cool parts. Waakeen, or whatever, did a great job and Reece Witherspoon is probably the hottest woman in the world right now. The best parts were Cash's one liners, all mentioned in the trailors. "What's with all the black? Look's like you're going to a funeral..." "Maybe I am" and "Mr. Cash, would you mind refrainin' from singin' anymore songs that remind the inmates that they're in prison?" "You think they forgot!"

That's the badass Man in Black that I wanted to see. But, no, this story, like any other story ever worth being told, was all about a girl.

So, go see Walk the Line if you're a Johnny Cash or Waakeen Pheonix fan. Go see it if you like bio pics. Or, just go see it if you really liked Ray and want to see it again, only with a white guy!!!

Boy Named Brad,
brad

3 comments:

Adam Caldwell said...

Ok...if you ruined this movie for me, I'm going to be pissed.

(Not really but I'm trying to be tough. I still want to see it though.)

Anonymous said...

Jeremy and I went to see it on Saturday.
I really liked it.
But I guess you could have assumed that I would.
Hope you had a good break.
*mt

Anonymous said...

I have an idea. Instead of spending good money on movies that disappoint you, how about saving that money to buys books for school. Or groceries. Or gasoline. What do you think? Love, Mom