Monday, November 07, 2005

Having Fun:24, Serving our fellow humans: 12

Alright, I love my church. I'll start by saying that. Central United Methodist Church is a heathly, active place and our church is full of socially minded people. However, we have now doubled the number of people going on a volunteer trip to the Gulf Coast with people signing up left and right for the yearly ski trip around the same time...

This ski trip is a big deal in our church. It started as a youth trip but over the past few years has turned into a church wide group of about 40 people going. We have now reached the 12 person mark for a joint volunteer trip with St. Johns and Country Club UMC's. I am thankful for those 12 and, with the groups from the other churches, it seems we have just the right number going. Any more would be too many to handle. But it's amazing to me how quickly we sign up for something that we know will be fun, and how reluctant we are to do anything to help our fellow human beings. (Of course, I say WE because I've signed up for the ski trip. Only because the mission trip is over a week and I can't miss school, the ski trip is over a weekend and I won't miss any) Why is it so hard to committ to these things? It's still a trip, it's the same amount of time, it's a little less amount of money. Instead of flying down the snowy slopes, they'll be serving meals or building houses. I don't know. Why's it so hard for me to sign up? Because I'll miss school?!? When did i start caring about school so much?

Lord, help us!

Brad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad, did you see the Bishops' response to the Judicial Council decision about the pastor denying membership to the gay man? They, too, were quite displeased and reaffirmed that our church is open to all. You'll have to learn to separate "the church" as God's people from a single person or committee within our denomination. Now about the ski trip-it is OK for church people to have fun. Teaching and leading people to grow in mission and outreach is a process. Your presence and example can help them know the joys of service to others. Love you, dad

Adam Caldwell said...

Brad,

Your dad's too nice. You suck and you should be going on the mission trip. There, I just figure I have to de-swell(is that a word) your head after your dad blew it up. I care about ya.

Andy B. said...

Yeah, and our dad doesn't have a lot of luck with snowy slopes, so he really doesn't have a leg to stand on ... uh ... so to speak.
Love ya, Pop!

Anonymous said...

There are things that happen in this world that outrage you. Your reaction to these things, and the way in which you express yourself, are much the same as another minister with whom I am well acquainted when he was your age. Since he has been in the very spot you are, the advise he gives you is probably something you might want to consider seriously. Love you, Mom