Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shadows

I've spent my life living behind some pretty wide shadows. Not physically wide, of course, my brother can play hide and seek with a 2x4. But, you know what I mean. In two weeks, these shadows come together in what I alternately refer to as the perfect day and the perfect storm, depending on the kind of day I'm having.

The Bryan family is gearing up for our first family reunion in years. And, like all family events, the reunion begins at church. On August 10th, I will be guest preaching at Missouri United Methodist Church in Columbia, MO. Not only will this be the largest congregation to which I preach, but included in this congregation will be Bishop Monk Bryan, Rev. Jim Bryan, and Rev. Andy Bryan. And, since the Bishop Bryan will be in attendance, there's a good chance that the Bishop Schnase will be there.

This is clearly the biggest preaching day of my career. And while my sermon has been written for quite awhile, this is the most nervous I have ever been before any particular proclamation.

Let us dwell in the shadows for just a moment.

It is difficult enough to be a younger child. By virtue of age alone, your older siblings get things done before you. They graduate sooner, get jobs sooner, have children sooner. But, my brother Andy is no ordinary older sibling. An honor student, actually a rediculous honor student that worked hard and loved school. A proficeint musician. A "well-behaved" kid. Just about everything a parent could want in a child. And, a hero. One of the most profound moments of my life is seeing my brother cry after returning from a vacation and learning that his dog, Jackie, had died in the kennel while we were gone. Seeing my Superman break down tore me down. But what I was too young to know then was that my brother, instead of proving himself not a man, was redefining for me what it is to be a man. I actually wrote an essay for english about it called "Does Superman have super-emotions, too?" Sometimes, I can resent my brother. The pride in our parents' face, and specifically Daddy Monk's (that's the Bishop, our grandfather) presence at his ordination service. The collection of communion plates and chalices that mostly come from Grandfather's collection. The fact that Daddy Monk wants Andy to have his old piano even though he already has one. But, always, I love my brother. I am proud to be his brother. And I want him to be proud of me. And, there he'll be on Sunday morning, hearing the word from me.

Then there's Dad. Everything I know about being a man, being a pastor, being a husband (in 300 days), comes from him. Dad is a well-known, well-liked, well-respected elder in the Missouri Conference. A delegate to General and Jurisdictional conference numerous times. Exceptionally successful for a pastor. I live to make him proud. And I'll be preaching from his pulpit in two weeks.

I don't really need to go very deep into explaining why having Monk Bryan for a grandfather can be hard. I'm preaching at his old church, where he is the pastor emeritus. He's been going to Annual Conferences for 90 years, he was bishop of Nebraska. He is HUGE in the United Methodist Church.

So, yeah, little Brad has had a lot of shadows to deal with. I dream of the day that I can introduce myself at Annual Conference as Brad Bryan. Not Andy's brother, or Jim's son. I can't wait to have an interview with the Board of Ordained Ministry (the folks that kind of hold my career in the palms of their hands) that doesn't start with "I knew your Grandfather".

But as I get older, the shadows that seemed to hide me, the one big giant carrot held out before me that it seemed I would never reach, have become the trusses that hold me up, my bulwark never failing. I am not my brother, nor my dad. Although I have learned from them, I am a very different person. And I know that no one expects me to be anybody but myself, but the shadows of legacy will always be there.

Our family has been blessed to be able to be involved in God's work for generations, but I, just like my father, will tell my children that under no circumstances should they become pastors.

I am proud of my family, I am proud to be a part of it. But, I want people to respect me, my gifts, and my call. In two weeks, at my father's current church, my grandfather's former church, with my brother doing music and my grandfather baptizing my sister's son, Braeden, I hope that I can show them, but mainly myself, that I can stand on my own two feet.

Monk, Cornielle, Glenn and Carmen's grandson, Jim and Caryl's baby boy, Andy and Stephanie's little brother, Cori, Wes and Braeden's uncle and Fiona's dad, Bradley James Bryan.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the best piece of writing you have ever done. I can't write as well as you do, but I'm gonna try.

The shadows are huge. Your dad knows about shadows. They are the reason the ministry is a second career for him. He had to learn that he could be a minister and also be himself. He learned that from another minister who was a good friend and whose father had also been a minister. Sounds like you are learning it, too. That makes me proud!

"Nobody expects me to be anybody but myself" - Amen! Yourself has made me very proud lots of times. You just didn't see it because you were busy being yourself, your wonderful, caring, authentic self. There was the time you asked a girl to the prom becaus she had never been and wanted desperately to go her senior year. The time you were late to accept your prestigious award at Central Methodist because you were doing your job as pastor of a small UMC. The time you could no longer play the quads in marching band because of carpal tunnel but you stuck with the job as section leader and warmed the drums up at every contest. The time you asked Steph if she wanted you to "kick his butt!" And you were her strength and rock during her pregnancy and those first few months. You could not see the pride in my face because of the tears in your eyes as you sang your Christmas gift to Braeden the day after he was born. And you need to know that Steph has requested that YOU be the pastor to baptize Braeden. It can't happen because you are not yet ordained. But it's what she wishes could happen.

You left out one of your identities in the final paragraph - Lindsey's fiance. WOW! Am I ever proud!

You remember how Dad and I call you our "good idea". We still do and we mean it more with each passing day.

I love you, Beej, and I am so proud that you didn't swear a single time in this blog! You express yourself beautifully with words even a mother can enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Touching, impassioned, moving, meaningful. Having done the "shadow thing" all my life, part of my great pride is finding myself from time to time in Andy's shadow or your shadow. I've also found that there is enough sunshine for everyone, and plenty of pride to go around. Remember the old song, "Step into the sunshine, get out of the shade?" It has been a great joy to watch you grow and learn and mature from day one. And I will cherish each day that has been and look forward to each day that will be. Being your dad makes me very, very proud and I think August 10 will be a great day in the life of the church, not MY church, not your grandfather's church, but the church, God's holy church. There is a part of "shadow" that might be legacy, or tradition, or continuity, or succession. I love you more that I could ever express. Dad

Stephanie said...

Brad I am so proud of you for being who you are! So many people hide behind what they think they should be, but you are following your heart and still being yourself. I am so glad you are my brother and you show me that there are still nice guys out there. You are such an amazing preacher and I want you to have faith in yourself. When you preach you say things that really hit home and mean something which makes you a great preacher! I know that you will do AWESOME on sunday and I can't wait to hear you again! I just wish you were closer so I could hear you more often!
You have been so amazing to me through out my pregnacy and everything else in life and you don't realize how great you are, because to you, you are just being yourself. To others, you are tremendous!
I love you!
Steph

Unknown said...

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Jesus of Nazareth (Matthew 5:14-16, TNIV).

Dear Brad - August 10 has the potential to become the Bryan Dog and Pony Show. And sure - that's what some people will be expecting. Trust me - I know - being a third generation UM pastor in Missouri myself.

People - when focused on mere mortals like you and me like to praise and almost deify the creature rather than God. I have been the recipient of such misguided accolades, and felt kind of dirty afterward.

But there will be someone there whom the Spirit has prepared to hear the word. And miracle of miracles - you are the one appointed to do it. So the most important shadow to be cast or for you to stand in that great day - and it will be a great day - is the one YOU cast as you lift up the one who is "The light of the world." (John 7:12 & 9:5).

Offer them Christ on your own terms - because regardless of who you might be related to by blood - you are a unique child of God and called to your ministry. I know your passion. Shine, baby, shine!

Adam said...

when you gonna send me the sermon!?

Anonymous said...

"grace and peace, my friend," I believe were the words that you gave to me. so, I return them to you: grace and peace, my friend.

august 10th will be great because God's love will be shown to other's and you will be the manifested presence of that love (no pressure). that's an awesome task, and i know that God will hold you through the whole day.

Andy B. said...

I read this post the day you put it up, but I haven't commented until now because I really didn't know what to say - in a good way. "Thank you" doesn't seem to quite be enough.

I'll never forget what mom said to me when I told her how scared I was to move to Campbell UMC. She put her hands on my shoulders, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "You just be the best Brad Bryan you can be."

One last thing: Those aren't shadows we're living in, bro - those are spotlights!

Anonymous said...

Brad, I mean Jasper, I mean Andy - Why did you have to let the whole blogosphere know about my aging brain! (That is probably not the right word for the world of blogs) Not to leave anyone out, last night I called my sister, Cathy, Stephanie. cb

Brad said...

thanks, andy.

I told Lindsey she was officially a member of the family the first time Mom called her Spencer. Who is, of course, our old dog who's been dead for 15 years.

Proud to share the spotlight with you, younger and stronger...

Zach said...

Wow, Brad, that was a powerful blog. I wish you all the best as you prepare to share that special time with your family and others who are present that morning. It's been great to get to know different members of your family this last year, and I can definitely see one thing in common with all of you, your love of God and love for God's people. I'm looking forward to getting back to KC and seeing you and everyone else this fall.
Grace and Peace,
Zach

Adam said...

hey, my buddy Dan (who was at the bachelor party) is going to music grad school at UMKC. Not only is he cool to hang out with, but he's a primetime musician. Call me and I'll make arrangements for you guys to hook it up!

Anonymous said...

Brad:

Occasional lurker here. Wow, what a wonderful, beautiful, moving piece! I so regret not having to opportunity to meet you and your brother, to hear you preach, and to see three generations of Bryan men together at service as my family and I were on vacation.
The dynamics you describe I believe holds true for many families. I'm an older sib and you captured how my sister views me with your decription of Andy.
In closing, you rocked that one brother!

Best,
Joseph

Anonymous said...

Brad, I think you knocked one out of the park on Sunday. I've always been a fan of your Dad's sermons, and this one ranked right up there with his best. I feel privileged to have been a part of the Bryan dog-and-pony show, and I hope we get to see you in Columbia again soon.

Bill A.