Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Difference

I am sitting in Hendrix Hall of St. Paul School of Theology, waiting for Ecumenical Theology and the Unity of the Church to begin its spring semester term. Appropriately, I heard yesterday a definition of the difference between myself and the Fundamentalist Evangelicals.

It came from an NPR interview with the first director of Bush's Office of Faith Base Initiatives and the new author of Godly Republic. I can't remember his name right now, but he is a non-Evangelical Catholic and professor of Religion and Politics somewhere.

In the course of his interview, he said, almost offhand, that the difference between him and Fundamentalist Evangelicals is that they do everything they do to get other people to be Christians. And he does what he does because HE'S a Christian.

Brilliant. That's what I see and I'm sure it's filtered through the media and my own lenses, but it's what I see. Evangelism, in terms of conversion to Christianity, is what guides the theology, preaching, mission and service and ecclesiology of Fundamentalists. Discipleship, or following the example and teaching of Jesus Christ, is what guides and defines me and my ministry.

I know that some of you will say that being evangelical is being a disciple. I get that point. But, conversion just never has been and never will be the focal point of my ministry. I preach, teach, serve, visit, comfort, study, invite, welcome and love because I am a follower of Jesus Christ not necessarily to make others follow Jesus Christ.

This is a question I think every Christian pastor and every Christian needs to ask themselves. Recognizing and reflecting on why we do what we do is an important part of discipleship. And, let me make this clear, i'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just saying that this difference exists. Some people on the extreme fringes of both sides think that differences in opinion mean that people can't work together and love each other. That's BS in my opinion. Differences make us human, and loving, liking and living with each other, working with each other to serve the world in spite of our differences is what makes us Christians. But, it is a question we all need to ask. Are you a Great Commission Christian? "Go and make disciples of all nations" Or, are you a Responding Christian? "Love others BECAUSE Christ loved you." Niether one is right, niether one is better. But it is important as followers of Jesus Christ to understand the reasons and drives that define your minstry. And, btw, you can be both.

I declare that my theology, ecclesiology, pedagogy, preaching, missiology and ministry are defined by my discipleship and following of Jesus Christ. I am concerned with evangelism in terms of spreading and showing the love of Jesus through my words and actions; not too concerned with the conversion of the world to Christianity.

Greatest Super Bowl Ever!!! gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggGGGGGGG-MEN!!

Peace, BB

5 comments:

Adam said...

hhhmmm... I don't see how you can chop up following Jesus like that, I'm not sure they're opposed, I know that you said "you can be both" but that's assuming you can separate them in the first place.

I'm glad that other people decided to spread Christianity, since that's how you and me were even able to inherit the faith; in spite of how screwed up the church is (and we are).

On the other hand, just today at lunch I was talking about my "non-Christian" friend...why didn't I just say "my friend?" Perhaps I have been viewing everyone through too narrow and "evangelistic" terms.

Thought provoking for sure. Oh, and as much as it pains me to say it- Go Giants baby.

Brad said...

If you decide to take some classes online like you've been talking about, you'll see just how much at least the professor's can chop things up. I'm a constructive theologian, I'm a systemic, I'm an evangelical, I'm a pastoral theologian. Your comment reminded me of when Paul said, "Some people say you follow Paul, some Apollos, some Peter. We all follow Jesus."

That's the point, I think. We all are just trying to do our best following Jesus. But, I think it's important to understand our own motivations for ministry.

Andy B. said...

Adam - Your point is well-taken. If others had not spread Christianity, we would not be Christian.

And Brad - I think your post goes to the "how" question - are we beating people over the head with Jesus so that they'll avoid burning in hell (to be ever so subtle and nuanced with my characterization) or are we sharing the Gospel in our lives - thoughts, words, relationships, and actions - because we are compelled to do so in response to the grace of God through Christ Jesus?

So metaphorically, are we Hillaries: "You will vote for me or Bill will eat you"
or are we Baracks: "Things can be better than they are and if you vote for me I'll try to make them better"?

:)

Do we bring people to Jesus with an "or else" lurking in the background, or do people come to Jesus because they see something in us that attracts them?

Anonymous said...

And Andy...

Why is it that WE are the one's that are attracting people to Jesus through what WE do? Where's the work of the Spirit in all of this...something about Prevenient Grace? Not sure...

Anonymous said...

Good post, Beej. I like the whole idea and it will help me define why I do what I do. cb