Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What the Hell?

I really don't want to follow a post of my intelligent, funny, and kind nephew with this. but I feel like I must.

Michael Vick killed dogs. He bought dogs, watched as they ripped each other to shreds until one couldn't stand, bet money on the fights, and then killed the ones that lost and buried them in a forrest behind his house. His actions were dispicable as a human being, and as a football player, caused his team to completely fall apart and lose all hope of being successful for years to come.

So, why, why in the hell, would members of that team wear shirts that said "Free Michael Vick" to a Monday Night Football game? Why would players put Vick's number on their eyeblack? Last week, every player in the league put the number 21 on their helmets and gloves and everything, to remember a player who had, by all accounts actually turned his life around, and who was shot in his home protecting his girlfriend and his child. This week, Falcons members had Vick's number in the same place. Awful. Terrible. Disgusting.

If you aren't sickened and pissed about what Vick did, then be angry at him for doing this to your football team. Don't support a man who is personally responsibile for the failure of your team.

I myself am sickened and pissed about what Vick did. He should be exactly where he is, and I don't know anything about the law, but deserves what the law says he should get. He should never play in the NFL ever again. If Michael Vick shot a human in the leg, he would never come back. Vick killed, KILLED, dozens of dogs. Those are not the actions of a good human being, of a role model for millions of kids.

I am a Christian pastor, so I have to believe in forgiveness. I pray that Vick can change his life and stop hanging around with people who would actually do this. And that he use his influence and persona to change lifes, not only for the sake of young black men in this country, but for the sake of the most watched and loved sport in this country.

But, the NFL should not forgive him. The NFL should punish those that wore Free Mike Vick shirts, basically saying that there was nothing wrong with he did. Our sports organizations in this country must start holding criminals accountable. Why does tank johnson still have a job, carrying guns everywhere he goes? Why won't baseball say what everybody, including themselves, already knows? These are criminals, teaching the millions of children that love them, that worship them, that behaving like this is ok, that cheating and degrading the games that the country loves is the only way to break records. (that's right, America, I'm saying Barry Bonds absolutely used steriods and lied about it)

Paying your debt to society is one thing, God's grace is another. But, come on. NFL, NBA, MLB...grow a pair and finally say, if you break the law, your done. Time to take a stand.

Now, everybody scroll down and look at the picture of my crazy nephew. The world is still alright.
B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Grow a pair"? Puh-lease! You offend my sensitivities! cb

Adam said...

BB, good post. What I think is funny is that the guys who get charged with domestic violence still get to play- with less picketing than when someone hurts an animal.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe his team would support him that much. What he did was inhumane to animals and he deserves to be in prison.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I disagree with the team. I don't know if they are in the wrong. I don't know if it really matters what I think.

However, for a people who kill, rape, destroy, hurt, lie, and a whole bunch of other "not so nice things", it seems that God is wearing a shirt with each of our numbers on it. It seems grace can even overpower the sickest of actions.

Please do not get me wrong. Mr. Vick's actions are sick...that is right sick. Anyone who can watch two living being kill each other (and then kill the beings who lost) is just plain sick. Does this mean he needs prison, or does he need help and love? Does he need judgment or does he need grace? We don't kill the sick, we send them to doctors and give them medicine. Isn't that what the Church is for?

I guess I am afraid that someone could bring to the media everything bad that I have done in my life thus far and I will tell you that I wouldn't be proud of any of it. It would shock and surprise many (and I think more than few fit into this catagory).

I don't think any of his team members support his actions. I don't think any of his team members were supporting them by wearing his number. But I do think that his team was saying that we are sticking by you because we love you.

I pray that more people could support each other like that. I pray that grace would overpower wrath. I pray this not for Mr. Vick, but for me. We are all damn if our "sick" state means death.

I think that is what Jesus would say. John 3:17.