Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The State of Rock and Roll

Last week my brother Andy pointed out an op-ed in the Star about the state of rock and roll music. If I were my brother, I would have links to this article and maybe even remember the name of the guy who wrote the article. I'm sure Andy will include his name in his comment to this post.

Alright, first the article. The piece was based on a recent idea and program from Steven Van Zandt, Bruce Springsteen's rythym guitarist. It is a lament of the current state of rock music, the individualized and niche market nature of music today, and the general public's and musicians knowledge of American music history. He plans to produce for group who are making good rock music and start public educational programs to teach kids American music history.

Alright, first off, i'm pretty sure that this exact article was probably written about 50 years ago by the parents of these guys when rock and roll first started. It was too loud, too fast, too sexy, too protesting. And now Steven Van Zandt, probably the least important person in the Boss's 7-9 piece band, is that old, fat, bald guy who think music is too loud, too violent, too sexual, too influenced. This is the same old song and dance that we heard from preachers and politicians when Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis started shaking their hips. The unfamiliar is always bad, wrong.

He makes an argument that the Rolling Stones wouldn't make it today if they were just starting out. Because of the niche markets that are out there today, they wouldn't get radio play and any PR guy at a record label wouldn't touch them and wouldn't know what to do with their sound. I agree. And I don't think the Rolling Stones would have any problem with that! In an interview last year, Ringo Starr said that what rock bands should be doing today is tearing down everything the Beatles ever did. That's what they did. They heard their parents music and hated it, and ripped it up and spit it out of their electric amps. That's what rock and roll is.

Next, the writer relates the story of Van Zant's discovery of the Beatles and how it changed his life. And that kids today don't have that experience. This is just another example of old guys not being in touch. Kids are still discovering the Beatles and it's still changing lives. I am a late Beatles convert and yes, it has changed my life. I went to a party over the holiday and met a guy my age who said he probably couldn't name and definately couldn't sing ONE Beatles song. I can't imagine a life without the music of the Fab Four. I know it's only rock and roll (but I like it) but there's so much life and joy and love in the Beatles. There's nothing wrong with the best rock music ever made-the beatles and led zeppelin-never being surpassed. No one will ever make better music than those guys. No matter what Steven Van Zant does.

Finally, I'd just like to say to the author of the letter (a nerdy looking guy with big glasses and the wrap-around-the-sides bald guy hair) and Steven Van Zant (an old, kinda fattening, good-not-great-guitar player who relys on Bruce Springsteen for a career) that rock music is just fine! Inspired by the article, I went to the iPod and created a rock only playlist. Looking across eras (one of the advantages of the ditigal age) with a "no metal" rule, I came up with one hell of a rockin' list. Here's some bands that rock, no niche market-just straight ahead rock and roll, Clutch, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Band of Horses, Wolfmother (who sound a lot like a little band called Black Sabbath), Black Crowes, Guns and Roses (really anything Slash plays), Kings of Leon, Louis XIV, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Arcade Fire, about half of Ben Harper's stuff, Cold War Kids, Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age and so many, many more.

Rock and Roll is meant for two things and sometimes a third: 1. piss off parents 2. get girls and (sometimes) 3. call for political change. Now, Steven Van Zant and the guy who's name I can't remember are the parents that are pissed off by the noise their kids are listening too.

Just because you're out of touch with rock and roll, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read your ideas, Brad. I think your knowledge and opinions about music are really amazing. I don't know enough to comment on the subject, but just want you to know I like reading you. cb

Andy B. said...

I just can't wait until you have kids, bro.

Anonymous said...

Sure are lots of comments about old, fat, bald guys. Blink twice and you'll be there, too, son. Dad

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha... lot's of family comments on this one I notice... so now you have one from one of your old camp dads...

Good stuff Brad... I would love a copy of your IPOD list...

Sounds like Van Zandt wants to pull a Jack Black (a la "School of Rock"), which I think would be cool... when new music is created, you can know the shoulders of giants that you stand on (and possibly jump off from for crowd surfing... although I don't see that at concerts any more).

Hey, I have a band for you to listen too... State Radio... they rock and have lyrics that will inspire thought.

Peace and love,
RevKev