Monday, April 02, 2007

Clapton is a god!!!

I have just returned from MY BEST CONCERT EVER!! Eric Clapton is simply breath-taking, awe-striking, dumbfounding, flabbergasting. Just listen: Running on Faith, Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Cocaine, Crossroads and much much much more. The dude played for three hours!!! It's difficult to put into words. Seeing someone who is not only the BEST person alive at what he does, but also loves doing the thing your watching him do more than anything else in the world, it is absolutely transcendental. It takes you to a whole other place.

I've seen Metallica from the front row. I've seen the original Black Sabbath. I've seen Tool, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson I've been to awesome, intimate shows and watched Martin Sexton, Trevor Hall, Robert Randolph, and Splitlip Rayfield from inches away. Nothing compares. NOTHING.

Nothing anyone can ever say is ever going to top this. Watch:
Oh, you went on a cruise? I just saw Eric Clapton play Wonderful Tonight...
You got a promotion, that's great!! I just heard Eric Clapton play Layla...
Wow, you just ran a marathon, impressive. I just saw Eric freakin' Clapton play Cocaine...
You just flew around the world in a hot air balloon, no way..I was there when Eric Clapton and Robert Cray played Crossroads!!!!

I SAW ERIC CLAPTON PLAY LITTLE WING!! Probably one of the top five songs ever written (not to mention Layla, Wonderful Tonight, etc.) played by one of top five guitar players ever...LITTLE WING PEOPLE!

But, I have to say it wasn't all good. As is known to happen from time to time, something pissed me off. No one stood up! I know. I stood up as soon as Slowhand took the stage and was prepared to stand the entire time. But, Lindsey and I were the only ones in our section that were standing. So, to be "polite" we had to sit down. Then I looked around. No one in the upper deck was standing. No one I could see in the lower deck was standing. A few full torsos were visible from the floor seats, but-listen to this-there were people sitting down IN THE FRONT ROW! I wanted to scream but no one would've heard me. That's Eric Clapton up there people; he doesn't have to earn our ovations. He's Eric Clapton, he's a living legend, he's probably the greatest guitar player living in the world today, and he's playing for US...Oh, you don't know this song? You really want to hear Tears in Heaven? Get off your lazy ass and get on your feet, that's ERIC CLAPTON!! Eric Clapton, from the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos, THAT Eric Clapton.

I finally couldn't contain myself anymore and I stood. I stood from Little Wing, the sixth song, to Crossroads, the last. I turned to my fellow concert goers and said something like that's Eric F~~~ing CLAPTON! Five or six people stood, but no more. I just don't understand it, Kansas City. I am ashamed, tonight, to call myself a Kansas Citian.

WE SAW ERIC CLAPTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB

3 comments:

CARYL said...

So, did you like the concert or not? cb

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Paul McCartney? I was never a Beatles fan but he puts on an awesome concert and the crowd stands up. I saw him in New Orleans at the Superdome in Oct of 2002 and he played for over there hours then.

This blog says it all
http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2005/10/20/112851/09

Anonymous said...

The KC Star critic does not agree with you about the quality of the show. cb