Sunday, October 15, 2006

It's Official...

Well, friends and neighbors, it's official. As of January 1st, 2007, I am no longer Associate Pastor at Central United Methodist Church. Met w/ Staff Parish Relations today.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do next. Yes, I put in an application at a record store for assisstant manager. But, that was spur of the moment.

I love preaching. I'm good at it. I'm just not good at any of the rest of it. I live for the Sunday mornings that I get to lead the service, I get to plan the experience, and I get to deliver the message. However, I can't just go to another church, put on the suit and the robe and pretend to be that guy. I am not that guy. If I can find a church where I can preach and be pastor AND be me-t-shirt/jeans/sandals/guitar/Beatles/Metallica/Tarantino/week-0ld-beard-then maybe, MAYBE, I could see myself living the life.

I know that I can't put on the robe and pretend. It's not fair to the church nor me nor God.

On the other side, I would be perfectly happy working in a cd store, listening to music all day, sharing music all day, stocking music all day, and playing music all night. I would do this in a second, if not for two things:
1. I gotta get pizaid-I don't know how realistic it would be to hope to make a living working in a music store.
2. There's this nasty, pesky little thing called CALLING. As Mustoe said, I don't want to pull a Jonah, or for that matter, an Andy (7 years as Presbyterian chior director) or Jim (public health degree and social worker), all of whom tried to get away from the CALL and just when they thought they were out, they pulled them back in.

So, I really have no idea what's going to happen. All I know is...I'm going to be ok. I have the love of an amazing family behind no matter what happens. I have the love of an amazing woman, who will love and support and respect me no matter what happens. I have the love of my bro-bros, and my sis-sis's (just sounds like sssssss when you say it), great friends that will always be great friends. And, I have the love of God, who IS LOVE!

As long as I have all those things, nothing else matters. No paycheck, no job, no career, will ever replace or ever be as important.

This too shall pass-Donutman
Everything's gonna be alright-Bob Marley
There will be an answer, let it be-John, Paul, George, Ringo

Peace, B

3 comments:

Adam Caldwell said...

That's right...hey I know where you can be that guy...start a church! Dru and I are praying for ya!

Anonymous said...

You know youself. What is God calling you to be?

Andy B. said...

Just for the record, it was only 5 years as a choir director. But it was not running from the call, it was sorting it out. It took me those 5 years to know that my call to ordainded ministry was my own and not an extension of Dad's. Your calling is not going to go away just because you are selling CDs - the distance might actually help you get some perspective.
Love ya, bro
AB