Thursday, October 12, 2006

Balance to the Force

Things I love:
1. My family, first and foremost, always and everywhere.
2. Vee. Especially now, you give me the courage to reach for my dreams and the security of knowing that if I don't get there, you'll still be proud of me.
3. Ice cream, but come on, who doesn't? I'm a cookie dough man myself. Anything with bite size pieces of uncooked cookie is just fine in my book. Nothing fruity either, or frozen yogurt. Anyone who tries to make something better by making it more healthy is missing the point.
4. Music. Seriously. Music is the window to the soul, an expression of everything that is beautiful and everything that is ugly. There's more truth and wisdom in Bob Marley's Redemption Song than most sermon's I've ever heard. (Granted I haven't heard my dad in a while and never heard my brother) I hope that in the coming weeks and months, music takes a more prominant role in my life, because I can't live without it. Music isn't a lving, music is life. Music may be the purpose I'm looking for. So, again, I encourage all of you. Go hear live music, support local bands and music stores and radio stations, spend time at a record store that let's you listen to stuff, always look for something new and exciting, don't listen to stuff THEY tell you to, pastors-read Rolling Stone, if you don't know who the Flaming Lips are you're going to have trouble getting young adults excited about your sermons, go to a music festival-nothing compares to 20 bands playing the same event, and most of all, keep your ears open.
5. My crazy dog. She's always there and always excited to see me. She's a lousey alternative, but when Vee can't give me a hug, giving Fee a stroke on the head right now helps calm my mind a little bit.
6. Old friends. The friends you don't have to stay in touch with to pick up right where you left off everytime. Mustoe, Sarah, Calds, Dru, Tyler, Jeff, Jaclyn, Bates. My life would be nothing without them.
7. Talking about, thinking about, studying about, this mysterious thing we call God. We will never understand, we will never fully know. God is the ocean and our knowledge is a raindrop of experience. But I love the search, the journey.
8. Drumming. Nothing makes me more at peace, more in touch with my emotions, more at one with the world. Drumming is my transendental meditation.
9. My prenatal nephew. Little Elvis isn't even hear yet, and I know the joy and love and light that he will bring into our lives.
10. Fall. Finally, I don't sweat brushing my teeth in the morning.

So, I can't write as much about what I love than what I hate. But, when you love something, words just seem to feel inadequate.

Peace, B

4 comments:

Brad said...

Dad, please don't ever tell me to write about the things that...ew..."turn me on" again. I think that terms might be a little different now than it was in the seventies. But, there you have it. Balance.

B

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andy B. said...

Hey now, this is a family blog!

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree with Dad. It's good to hear you on a positive note. But did you know that when your dad was in seminary, he and his friends decided to start a pessimists club? But then they decided not to bother because no one would want to join. (that was the first time i ever heard that old joke - honestly!) cb