Friday, July 08, 2005

Jealous Rantings

In my work, starting a young adult ministry at Central United Methodist Church, i'm doing a lot of reading and a lot of web searching. One of the examples for what I want to do is a church called Jacob's Well here in Kansas City. Now, I know nothing of the people there, I'm almost positive that they're all wonderful, but I've been thinking about the name. Jacob's Well, mentioned only once in scripture, is where Jesus meets the woman of Samaria and rest for a minute to have a drink. There seems to be something self-serving in naming your church after such a place. But, of course, Jacob's Well is already moving the direction that the whole church will soon move, and has active and successful ministries; thus, jealousy is at the heart of this rant. However, in my brousing of emergent church websites, such as theooze and emergentvillage, I found almost an overwhelming sense of introspective selfishness. One comment on the ooze message board said "I don't serve Jesus...He serves me...let Him" WHAT?!?!?! This wasn't the only thing that bothered me either. The articles on these websites are wonderful, spiritually and theologically, but read the message board sometime, read the graffiti wall. Some people still don't get this post-modern faith. It's easy to turn the emergent movement into "I don't like church, so let's make one that fits me". God, help us become your people again, your church again. Through your guidance and your strength, help us to serve you in this ever-changing world!

No comments: