Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Favorite Year

Sitting around today with my parents, watching 3 episodes of MASH of course, I began to realize that, except the second week of December, 2008 has been my favorite year ever.

Here's why.

Music: It was an unbelievable year for new rock music. Fleet Foxes, Cold War Kids, Kings of Leon, Ryan Adams, TV on the Radio, Blitzen Trapper, Death Cab for Cutie, Guns N' Roses, Bob Dylan all top my list for the year. But the prize has to go to the return of the metal militia...Metallica is back baby! AND I got to see them this year. On a personal note, I came to realize this year that I'm a pretty dang good songwriter.

Movies: This year brought us Iron Man, an actually good Hulk movie and, of course, The Dark Knight, the greatest super hero movie ever made and my favorite movie of all time.

Education: After a little hiccup, I actually had the best and most educational year I've ever had at St. Paul this year. Thanks to Drs. Douglas Powe, Harold Washington and Robert Martin for giving us even a little glimpse into your intellect and passion.

I got to be in my bro-bro Mustoe's wedding.

My cousins, Nate and Matt, got engaged and my cousins, Amanda and Brad, had a beautiful baby girl.

I preached at Missouri United Methodist Church, a place that's very special to my family, IN FRONT OF MY FAMILY. And then spent the week with the whole Bryan clan. At the service, we all were blessed by being involved in the baptism of my nephew Braeden.

I realized I might be actually good at tennis.

After the break-in, I was overwhelmed to discover just how surrounded and cared for I am by the people in my life. And, just how much my congregation does actually love and care for me.

I had most of my clothes, my computer, my iPod and my acoustic guitars with me at the time of the break in. And, except for the drumset and electric guitar, every playable instrument has already been replaced by friends.

I made and strengthened relationships with amazing, incredible people, from NE, KS and IA all the way to the UK. I don't dare attempt to list the names of the people who have touched my heart and made my life so full this year, but thank you all.

Remember when we elected Barack Hussein Obama President of the United States? That was awesome!

And, most of all, I asked the most beautiful and amazing and caring and loving and laughing person to be my wife...on top of a Rocky mountain! I have never in my life smiled like I did when I asked her. She told me that, but she didn't need to 'cause I could feel it myself. Vee, I am so proud, so happy, so freed, so complete, so lucky to have you in my life and to be blessed by being in yours.

So, yeah. Not a bad year. Although, 2009 doesn't look to shabby either. Have you seen that Wolverine trailer?

Peace, B

ps: oh yeah, and the whole graduation, commissioning, marriage thing...but, my God, Wolverine's coming in May!!!

4 comments:

Emily Lorraine said...

Am I to assume MO people are included just without mentioning...;)
Glad you had a great year and glad that I was a part of it, especially the tennis. Let's get the racquets out again in the Spring!
Wolverine looks AWESOME!
Em

Zach said...

Awesome blog, man! I read it last night, but was partaking in some holiday "spirits" so I waited to comment. ;)

As crappy as things have been at times, and things are still kind of crazy, I'm starting to realize some of my best times have also been as of lately.

See you in 2009!
Z

ps. Merry Christmas! Please pass along my best to the family!

Anonymous said...

So happy that you are so happy. That is really all a parent wants - for his/her children to be happy. I think with Lynz in your life, you will have lots more happy, happy years. Not only are you happy - you are really lucky, ya know that?! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Public lies. Jeez!
You watched wolverine with your mistress after you convinced your fiance to drop you off at the movie during her Grandfathers funeral preparations... so at least you enjoyed that part of 2009. consider facing the music in 2011.