Sunday, September 14, 2008

Three Completely Unrelated Topics

On the way in to Kansas City this afternoon for my week of school, I passed three large pickup trucks with three large bumper stickers on them. The first read, "I Love My Carbon Footprint."
The second one said, "Piss off a liberal, buy a gun," with a picture of a handgun in the middle of the words. The third one, my personal favorite, "Suckin' Gas n' Kickin' Ass!" God bless America.

I've heard the new Metallica album and I believe that while Death Magnetic can't compare to Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightening, it definately approaches ...And Justice for ALL, and clearly surpasses the Loads and St. Anger. (Only a few of my readers will understand what that meant!) Here's the thing about Metallica: the only way to rank or critique a Metallica album is to compare it to OTHER Metallica albums. That's how you know the band is huge.

On a more serious note, SMOKING CAUSES CANCER. There's no "may" or "might" left on the box anymore. It simply says, SMOKING CAUSES CANCER. There's a powerful and difficult article in this week's Newsweek about how we're losing the fight against cancer. 1 in 2 men will get cancer at some point. 1 IN 2!!!! Sure, most of that is prostate. But, men who get prostate cancer aren't participating in an activity that knowingly causes it.

I started smoking when most of us started doing the things in our lives that hurt us, college. I smoked cigarettes for five years, and got down to the occasional cheap gas station cigar and the very occasional expensive cigar shop cigar. But, then occasionally turned into any time I was out with people. Then, any time I drove anywhere.

Why do we do the things we do to ourselves? Sorry, that was a little judgemental. Why do I do the things I do to myself? It's not just smoking either. It's eating. It's not working out. It's not studying like I should. Why? Why can't I stop the voice of selfish justification that always makes it ok to have that one next cigar? That comes up with a perfectly good reason to go to Taco Bell at 2:00 in the morning!

Well, as far as the smoking is concerned, I'm done. For good. Never, never again. If you ever see me with a cigar in my hand, slap me in the face. I'm done. It causes cancer stupid.

Taco Bell will be a harder battle.

Peace, B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wonder about the people like those whose bumper stickers you noted. What an attitude. How and why does our society produce such wierdly divergent viewpoints and lifestyles.
Good deal on the smoking! Amen! Way to go! Good news! Bully! You rock! You're the man! (etc.) And it causes cancer stupid. JB

Anonymous said...

One battle at a time, and smoking is the battle to win first. Take on Taco Bell when you have won this battle. Great news! Glad to hear it. cb