Friday, July 25, 2008

Curse Words

Alright Mom, I love you, but let's do this.

I curse. I curse around my friends. I curse around my colleagues. And I curse in ranting blogs when my acceptance of the stupidity of our humanity reaches a boiling point.

I don't curse around you, kids, my parishoners and my professional/educational superiors.

There's a button inside that automatically switches off the bad words when certain people are around. So, yes, America, I use curse words. Just like most EVERYONE else. Oh, and any youth group kids that know I have a blog, they curse when we're not around too.

I'm not afraid of people in my churches knowing that I sometimes use these words, I think the percentage of people whose opinion and respect for me as pastor would go down is quite small. But where I agree with my beautiful, wonderful, loving mother and her incessant "mom" comment after a particular lar (long, angry rant) is professionally.

I learned at this Annual Conference that a lot of people read my blog. A lot of people in the ministry life will come over through the link on my big bro's blog. And I've heard the argument that you should treat your online persona-blogs, facebook pages, etc.-as a constant resume and job application.

Well, if Bishop Schnase or any members of the cabinet spend 5 minutes of their day reading my personal, ranting, insignificant thoughts on this hard-to-find, purposely-misspelled drop in the ocean of the blogosphere, then welcome. This is who I am. Sometimes I use extreme language when my feelings on a certain subject are extreme. AND if they do stop by and see the occasional curse word or insult thrown Bill O'Reilly's way and it has a negative effect on my career, then...well...I don't want to be something I'm not to get a job. (hmm, that sounds like another l.a.r. directed at the UMC, making people be something they aren't so they serve in ministry!)

So yeah, I curse. Not in conversation. Not for no reason. I curse when I'm mad, frustrated or in pain. Like a human. And when people are being stupid, petty, greedy and selfish my language can get judgemental. Like a human.

Mother, I love you so very much. I live to make you proud. And I never want you to stop "mothering" me about my taxes and language and eating habits. But, maybe if you could stop doing it on the comments page for all my friends to read!!

Human...being,
Brad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, Brad. Who reads these things anyway?
R Schnase
FivePractices.org

Anonymous said...

language is limited...sometimes the only way we can really express the way we feel is with good ole curse word. some of us more then others(me included). And why are they called "curse" words?

jz

Anonymous said...

My dear son - I have looked and looked again and nowhere can I find that I spoke to you about your use of language on the blog. If you will check I think you will find that I did it in your personal email. You are correct - taking you to task for something is not appropriate on the blog. And specking of being appro[riate on the blog -------. Much love always, Mom

Brad said...

Holy crap! The bishop is here. And thus begins my 5 week blog seminar on the 5 practices of fruitful congregations...

B