Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Annual Conference 2008

So, I've spent a full month reflecting on the 2008 session of the Missouri Annual Conference. The following few paragraphs are quite simply those reflections poured out into the blogosphere.

I first want to say a few words about the logistics of Annual Conference. We need to decide if the AC is a business meeting or an educational opportunity. Because attempting to make it both takes away from both. I am of the opinion that the AC should be strictly business and that we should strengthen minister's school which is supposed to be our educational opportunity. I admit that the planners and facilitators of AC have probably the hardest job in the state. But, the Conference should take the responsibility to make Minister's School a stronger and more productive time and stop trying to make AC be Minister's school. (Some of this has to do with not bookending Minister's School with other conference board meetings so that no one cares or has the energy for learning together)

OK, that's it for the logistics. Now for a little deeper reflection.

The question is not, my friends, "And Are We Yet Alive?" The question has become, "What Are We Living For?" Are we living to save the institution and corporation of the United Methodist Church? Or, are we living to serve the mission of God? Um, I'm going to go ahead and not answer that question; just putting it out there. Seriously, what are we, the United Methodist Church, living for?

I also learned that a lot of people read this blog; more people than I thought. Most of those people find me through Andy's blog I'm sure. So, Andy, I'd like this blog to reach some people. Perhaps you can link 'em my way. Thanks for reading, folks. I'm going to try and keep a more regular and meaningful blogging schedule.

I also learned that Matt Miofsky is my new hero. Matt, I was one of those people who was sick of hearing your name, talking about your church at every District and Conference event, seeing your picture in every issue of the Reporter. But then you go and do something like this...and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF. No formulas, no magic secrets, no books. Just community. Just culturally, personally, scripturally, ethically, spiritually relevant worship. But the best, nay the most profound, thing you said and I quote "We're doing fine with the new wineskins, but what is the new wine we are offering?" Fantastic. Amen. So say we all.

Staying with the theme of young adult pastors that I had at one point been tired of hearing about and now have an unmatched respect for: what Emmanuel Cleaver III did with the hip-hop worship service is EXACTLY my vision for a rock and roll worship service. The pillars of hip-hop around which the service is built, the culture to which it speaks, all of that can be done in the rock community. Electric guitars, tatoos, slam-dancing, its all the rock culture and needs to be spoken to by the church.

While I stand with my brother on the overall theme, attitude and success of this year's Annual Conference (the theme of "you guys suck and why can't you do it like this") I am trying to stay more positive, so I want to talk about the best thing of the weekend. If we needed any proof that EVERYTHING we know about church is wrong and EVERYTHING we're doing is on the wrong path, it was the choir of orphans from Uganda that sang and danced for us and shared their overflowing joy. First of all, the choir started BEFORE the actual session started so a lot of people missed it. But as they were singing and dancing and telling their stories, I turned to my brother and said those words, "Everything we're doing is wrong." When's the last time you were joyous in worship? Or joyous anywhere? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, my brothers and sisters in Christ for opening your souls to us and opening my eyes to my own.

The best and holiest conferencing that happened: in the back, conversing with my friends, Joel Kidwell, Michael Dunlap, Richard Fine, Dennis Harper, EC3, David Hutchison and all the others. Thanks for sharing your time with me.

What are we living for? Are we living for the survival of the institution of the United Methodist Church? Are we growing because if we don't we'll die? Or are we living to simply serve the mission of God in this world, EVEN IF, that mission means the death of the denomination?

What good is a man who won't take a stand, what good is a cynic with no better plan? I believe there's a better way.

Brad

ps; to whom it may concern, can we PLEASE not have some megachurches anonymous boring praise band play our opening worship? And can we PLEASE have more worship? My better plan...uh...ME! I'll play, I'll play, I'll play.

4 comments:

Kara said...

You've been tagged! (check out my last blog...)

RevSarah said...

I wonder if instead of focusing on all business at AC and all education at Ministers' School we would do as little business as possible in general (which is more about the maintenance of the present institution) and put most of our efforts into equipping both laity and clergy for ministry. While I understand the idea of not trying to do too many things at one event, I celebrated the amount of educational opportunities at Conference this year (though some of them were a bit lacking, to be sure).

After spending two years in the UK, serving in a denomination generally suspicious of educated clergy, I'm loving how intent the Conference is on equipping us for the work of ministry. And yes, ministers' school is an excellent place for this to happen.

However, what excites me more about the learning opportunities at AC rests in the presence of the laity. I can preach some of these ideas to my congregation until I'm blue in the face, but it will usually take an outside confirmation of these ideas before they'll take root in a congregation. And to be honest, I would have a hard time getting any laity to go to a 4-day conference if it wasn't AC and under the guise of a business meeting.

Brad said...

Thanks Sarah, I appreciate the response. I do wonder about the involvment of laity in more educational opportunities. It just seemed to me like important conversations on topics from the pension decision to the new church site plan didn't happen because people were worn out and wanted to get home.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that I could do any better!
Peace.

Andy B. said...

I'm hoping we can figure out a way to do most of the business before conference even "starts" through online infomation sessions and even votes - especially the rubber stamp ones we always do.