Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Pledge

I, Brad Bryan, hereby pledge to not post about what I see as negative aspects of the structure and system of the United Methodist Church, my personal frustrations with the candidacy process, the present and future of young adults in the church, or my concerns for the future within the itineracy connection for ONE MONTH. From this day, until the end of school, I will not mention the United Methodist Church at all, excluding any unforseen interesting things that happen within the building of a UMC or inspiring comments or actions by a member of the UMC.

I invite my brother Andy at Enter the Rainbow, my friend Adam Mustoe at Internationally Known, my friend Mark at Stupidity Ensues and all you other blogophiles out there to join me. (Zach, delegates to General Conference are exempt and we expect nightly updates!)

And so, slightly inspired by my friend Justin's dance this morning (Where is the Love?) and my friend Katie's overall cheerful countinance (sp), here's some things that are making me happy:

1. Compiling a spring and summer reading list of books that have absolutely nothing to do with pastoral care, eccumenism, liberation theology or seminary. I'm not only tired of reading those books, I'm also tired of reading my same favorite Stephen King books over and over. I've decided to go back to the classics. First the classics of my favorite genre: Bradbury, Asimov, Poe, Ayn Rand. Then other classics: Hemmingway, Faulkner, James, Stevenson, Twain, Dickens. I want to spend my summer reading the best novels ever written, and that makes me happy.

2. The new Black Crowes, Jack Johnson, Matt Costa, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Black Keys and reissued Elvis Costello records. Great, great stuff all around and that makes me happy. I am always looking for new music to pick up and discover, so if anybody has found any recently that you love, please share.

3. The Police and Elvis Costello concert in a month makes me extremely happy.

4. Planning the summer vacation, summer concert and lake house days with Lindsey makes me happy.

5. Being able to play Elvis Costello, Ben Harper and Bob Marley in chapel today makes me happy.

6. Actually finding a pretty, peaceful place to go IN ST. JOSEPH!

In fact, I think I'll head up there now.

Woke up this morning, smiled with the risin' sun.
Three little birds, sit on my doorstep.
Singin' sweet songs, of melodies pure and true.
Sayin', this is my message to you-oo-oo.

Don't worry...'bout a ting.
'Cause every little ting's, gonna be alright.

Peace, BB

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and ideas for the summer.

It is amazing what a game of ping pong can do for your overall attitude. I applaud your efforts and I hope that you keep blogging during the next month. I also am anticipating the explosive blog that will finally release that steam and lava when Mt Brad blows in one month.

peace
ron

Andy B. said...

Here's mine: I pledge to not post disrespectfully or gracelessly about the honest disagreements I have with other people on certain issues, some of which are likely to pertain to the United Methodist Church.

Asking me to stop posting about church issues for a month is like asking an apple tree to stop making apples for a month.

Brad said...

Just trying to keep it positive for awhile, bro. Not that we can't disagree positively! You know what, I love the UMC. I choose to be a United Methodist. Still got your books and still need a Battlestar day...

And Ron, I thought of two great lines the minute I made my pledge. I'll safe them for the explosive post.

Go Royals!! BB

Mark said...

Alright man, I'll try to keep it positive from now on. Really I need to start posting again. I pledge to keep things positive until the end of school year, especially when it comes to the church. Unless of course there is some crazy thing that happens between now and then.

Anonymous said...

So - you played some musicians you like in chapel. Did you play guitar, drums, cd's? Wish I could her you play drums again. I love to watch you play drums! cb

Stephanie said...

You get up with the rising sun? :)
Love Steph

Unknown said...

I love how your pledge has only resulted in the fact that you're not blogging at all! :) I'm just giving you're a hard time, I haven't since the 16th. We're all just a bit too busy right now huh? Prayers to you over the next couple of weeks!

Natalie