Friday, March 30, 2007

Jimi Thing

What's happening everybody? Got a message for ya!

Dave Matthews' has a song called Jimi Thing, in which he sings "Sometimes it takes a jimi thing, just to keep me floating." Now, I'm not a Dave expert like some...but I'm pretty sure a "jimi thing" is what the kids call a marajewana cigarette. But, that's not really what the songs about. It's about those little things, the quiet moments that get us through the day.

Last night, I spent a couple of hours sitting on the back porch, drinking some rolling rock, listening to the rain and playing through my very extensive list of songs I can play on the guitar. I can't tell you how much better my whole week felt. A week of papers and New Testament translations and taxes and bills, floated away as if the rain itself was washing it away. The only way it could've been any better is if Lindsey was with me. Or my boys were playing the song with me, or my family was all singing together, or I was playing a song for someone who really needed to hear it.

Apparently, playing guitar in the rain and having a few beers is my thing. I hope you all have a thing too.

I want you to think about those times in your life that you were happiest, most secure, most content, most yourself. I would be willing to bet that those times have nothing to do with budgets, taxes, deadlines. I bet there's not one bureaucratic form involved in any of those times.

I pray that you can find your thing. My brother goes hiking in the nature areas around KC. My dad lives for opening day of the Royals and being on the river with his friend Rueban. It doesn't need to be difficult, it doesn't need to be expensive. But look for that one thing that makes everything else seem a little less important, a little less pressing. Like James says, "Shower the people you love with love". Surround yourself with your friends and family. Play in the park, watch the sunset, sing in the rain. And...STOP WORRYING SO MUCH!

The next time the District Council of Ordained Ministry asks me why I don't take the process more seriously, I'll try not to laugh.

Woke up this morning,
Smile with the rising sun,
Three little birds,
Sit on my doorstep,
Singing sweet songs,
Of melodies pure and true,
Saying this is my message to you-ou-ou
Don't worry, 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing
Is gonna be alright!
-Bob Marley, Three Little Birds

Chill Out everybody, B

1 comment:

CARYL said...

Finding your thing is essential if you are to survive in this world. To be able to "transcend" this world is biblical, I think. At the same time, if you are going to work to change this world, or your corner of this world, or help someone else transcend, you have to stay involved in this world. You have to learn to do what the system requires of you, unless it goes totally against all in which you believe and know in your heart. If you plan to receive the benefits that the system has to offer, you have to give something in return. If doing so threatens one's integrity, maybe that person is involved in a system that is not right for him/her. With nothing but love, cb