Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sad Day

"The time will come
One day you'll see
When we can all be one"
~Freddie Mercury of Queen

Well, it's a sad day to be a United Methodist. I add my voice of dissention to chorus. The Judicial Council's decision today was a wrong one, a bad one. However, like my brother, I understand the reasoning in the decision. It is not the job of the Judicial Council to make moral decisions for the UMC. That's the General Conferences job, and from what dad tells me about the last couple of those, we'll probably reach a decision in, oh, around the time I retire.

Still, it's sad. A pastor now has the right, the responsibility, to accept or exclude anyone he or she wishes. that's not our job, as I said before, that's God's.

Proud to be American and a United Methodist, but currently pissed at them both,
Brad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of both you and Andy for being kind and gracious to all God's people. We still have a lot of work to do. Change takes time and patience. The hope may be in that the Council of Bishops requested the reconsideration and that the vote on the Judicial Council was 5-4. We all stilll have to be Christ's love every day for the long haul. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

ditto. Mom